It’s so simple to make a difference. Take our Earth Day Challenge and apply at LEAST 3 of our tips in your lab to see all the good you can do!
1. Go to the Dark Side: Don’t be afraid of the dark, try to turn off unused lights around the lab to save energy.
2. Chill Out: Until science gives us a fridge that magically hands us what we need, it’s best to organize your cold storage units so you don’t waste time digging around! This saves energy by not having to cool everything back down after the door closes.
3. Bulk Up: You don’t need a DeLorean to travel into the future to plan ahead! Do your best to order supplies in bulk to reduce your carbon footprint (packaging, shipping fuel, emissions).
4. Water it Down: To save H2O, try washing your labware by hand, using recirculating water baths, and maybe taking shorter emergency showers and eye baths. On second thought…
5. Sharing is Caring: Establish a common stock of chemicals to reduce consumption and waste and create a safe space for equipment swapping.
6. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Yup, just like in elementary school. And please don’t run with scissors.
7. Speed Racer: Ride your bike to work and burn some extra calories in the process. So, go ahead, have those fries at lunch. It’s a win – win.
8. Channel your Inner Cinderella: Stop using paper towels and pick up a mop for any water or ice spills.
9. Get on a Soapbox: Share your ideas and propose changes. Don’t get sucked in the “this is how we’ve always done it” mentality. Be the change!
10.The Earth is Your Playground! Turn those lights off in the lab, and go frolic in the meadows, hike those mountains, and swim in that ocean!
Easy, right? We know!
If we all did a little each day to make the world we live in a tiny bit better, we would all be happier and healthier! So let’s get out there and do this!