This Earth Day we are working towards a greener future.
It can be so simple to make a difference. One way to start is by taking our Earth Day Challenge for a greener laboratory by applying at least 3 of our tips below. The best part, they can all be easily implemented the minute you’re done reading this article!
1. Go to the Dark Side: Don’t be afraid of the dark, try to turn off unused lights around the lab to save energy.
2. Chill Out: Until science gives us a fridge that magically hands us what we need, it’s best to organize your cold storage units so you don’t waste time digging around! This saves energy by not having to cool everything back down after the door closes.
3. Bulk Up: You don’t need a DeLorean to travel into the future to plan ahead! Do your best to order supplies in bulk to reduce your carbon footprint (packaging, shipping fuel, emissions).
4. Water it Down: To save H2O, try washing your labware by hand, using recirculating water baths, and maybe taking shorter emergency showers and eye baths. On second thought…
5. Sharing is Caring: Establish a common stock of chemicals to reduce consumption and waste and create a safe space for equipment swapping.
6. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Yup, just like in elementary school. And please don’t run with scissors.
7. Speed Racer: Ride your bike to work and burn some extra calories in the process. So, go ahead, have those fries at lunch. It’s a win – win.
8. Channel your Inner Cinderella: Stop using paper towels and pick up a mop for any water or ice spills.
9. Get on a Soapbox: Share your ideas and propose changes. Don’t get sucked in the “this is how we’ve always done it” mentality. Be the change!
10.The Earth is Your Playground! Turn those lights off in the lab, and go frolic in the meadows, hike those mountains, and swim in that ocean!
Easy, right? We know!
If we all did a little each day to make the world we live in a tiny bit better, we would all be happier and healthier. So let’s get out there and do this!
Do you have a tip we missed? Comment below to let us know! And if you have any questions how to implement these practices for a greener Earth Day, reach out to our technical experts 24/7 via Live Chat. They will be happy to walk you through any steps!
Looking for more tips for your lab? Check out our article “Does Your Lab Bench Space Spark Joy For You?” for tips on how to make your work space more functional and safe.